Friday 19 October 2012

Treasures


Last weekend I received some horrible news:  My cousin-in-law in Colorado Springs was killed in a motorcycle accident.  Mark was only 39 and a really lovely person, sometimes I really don't understand the man above and His plans for us.  I have cried many a tears but realised they weren't actually my tears (despite being incredibly sad) but my heartfelt sorrow for my cousin Meike who has lost her partner, her husband, her best friend.  I will always remember Mark and feel blessed to have known him.  R.I.P. Mark!



Being out here in Abu Dhabi, so far away from my family and friends, I felt quite alone and really appreciated the messages sent to me from friends via twitter and Facebook   Thank the Lord for Skype too, a wonderful way to stay in touch with family and friends.
So, yesterday morning we had an email from our Office Manager informing us that our office will be closed next week Thursday (Arafat Day) until Sunday (Eid al Adha).  You see, here in the UAE the Islamic public holidays are based on the sighting of the moon and can vary a day prior or after the originally announced date.  Don't ask me why, since the moon doesn't change its course all of a sudden, but hey, it seems to be a relic from olden days and we just have to go with it.
Well, to be honest, reading about the 4-day-break I was a bit at loss at first as I didn't want to spend 4 days just bumming around in Abu Dhabi.  However, I then looked up flights for getaways, also flights to Germany amongst others, just for a laugh, but it turned out to be a happy laugh.  I immediately got in touch with my 3 best friends in Frankfurt and my parents what their plans were for next week, and I can happily report that they're all looking forward to welcoming me, no matter the short notice of my visit.  Thank you Etihad Airways for having this amazingly reasonably-priced flight-combination for me to book.  I will be flying out 2am Thursday to Frankfurt (arriving there 7am), spending Thu and Fri in Frankfurt with my friends, taking the train up to Hannover Saturday morning and enjoying my parents' and brother's company Saturday and Sunday.  The flight back leaves Hannover just before 6pm Sunday, via Munich back to Abu Dhabi (arriving 7:15am just in time to get to work).  I cannot wait, haven't seen my Mutti und Papa since my birthday in April (I don't really count Skype video-calls as seeing).
I truly value my friends and family and try my utmost to stay in touch with these loved ones.  Thank you for being there for me through thick and thin.  You're real treasures!

1 comment:

  1. I am so very sorry to hear about the unexpected death of your friend Mark. I know you'll keep all the happy times with him in your heart.

    And extra glad that you can fly 'home' for the long weekend! I'm sure you're feeling especially lonely right now (despite Twitter & Skype) and I'm excited for you that you can have this trip! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete